CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 25, 2009

National Museum of Singapore


The National Museum of Singapore by night

The National Museum of Singapore was renovated about two years ago and is an absolutely beautiful architectural space - a seamless blend of the historic and modern. I heard it's just a short walk from the Dhoby Gaut MRT station (but I have the worst sense of direction, so naturally I got lost and by the time I arrived at the Museum I was all sticky and panting and stressed, and to be honest, in a pretty disgraceful state).


The interior of the Museum

All my stresses were alleviated however, by a 3-course lunch at Novus ($35 Mondays - Saturdays).


My crab & potato starter
(yes, I'm allergic to crab, no, it doesn't stop me from indulging once in a while)



Spot the Tash in the Steak


Aerial view


Hungry Mum & D




Dessert

After the free guided tour (very worth going on by the way), we had a look at the temporary exhibit "Come In: Interior Design as a Contemporary Art Medium in Germany". I was expecting interior design exhibits, but the artists actually created weird and whimsical installations that were just loosely based on interior design concepts. The pieces worked as a kind of social commentary on modern day life.




This was a reconstruction of the room of a man who planned a bomb attack in Europe - in the room itself, a TV played footage of the bombings




My favourite piece

The funniest thing I saw all day was this video of artist Hans Hemmert bouncing around in a yellow balloon to this catchy song "Shame on You". I know it doesn't sound particularly exciting, but watching the massive yellow balloon bounce around the screen was somehow really mesmerising and entertaining.

I also loved the Fashion and Food halls on the upper level of the Museum. The gorgeous fifties-style dresses were on display, funny videos about makeup application in the 60's and the room full of Southeast Asian herbs and spices entertained me all afternoon.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Tash -

Just wanted to stop in and say how beautifully your photos are turning out! And great read too - glad to hear you're enjoying yourself in SG.

Alex